Are you a curious group looking for a guided tour?
Through four brand new architectural circuits, take a different look at the city as you discover the origins of its neighbourhoods and their specific challenges. Our engaging and motivated volunteer guides are eager to share their passion for heritage with you.
The Square Mile, where architecture expresses affluence
The large bourgeois residences of the 19th century, since transformed by their new vocations, pose many challenges for the future of this residential and institutional heritage. Discover the history of Montreal’s golden age of manors and villas on this circuit along the side of Mount Royal. Participants will learn about the most illustrious businessmen and discover how their wealth was reflected in this district’s architecture.
DEPARTURE: Corner of Sherbrooke West and McGill College streets
ARRIVAL: Corner of Sherbrooke West and De la Montagne streets
The residences and institutions along this circuit include: Chancellor Day Hall (1893) by American architect Bruce Price, the oldest manor in the Square Mile, which later became a psychiatric hospital; the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, whose original building was designed by the Maxwell brothers, the same architects who were behind many of the city’s upper-class residences.
These two-hour urban walking tours are offered in English and French, rain or shine. Maximum of 20 participants per group.
Made-to-measure urban tours
Any request for a made-to-measure urban tour will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and the cost will be adjusted according to preparation time. Tour requests must be sent at least eight weeks prior to the scheduled date of the activity.
Contact Amélie Renouf, Head, Programs and Activities, at email@example.com or at 514-286-2662, ext. 23.
• Tour requests must be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the scheduled date of the activity.
• Tours are 2 hours and are entirely outdoors.
• Tours take place rain or shine, and are non-refundable.
• Urban tours can be given in English or French.
• Participants must make their own way to the point of departure.
• The maximum group size is 20 people. There is an extra fee for each additional person.
• Urban tours are conditional on the availability of a volunteer guide.
• Any request for a tour other than the 4 permanent urban tours constitutes a request for a made-to-measure tour.
Urban tour : $250
Urban tour with adjustments* : $300
+ 15 $ per additional person
Urban tour : $500
Urban tour with adjustments* : $600
+ 25 $ per additional person
*Authorized adjustments: longer/shorter tour and the addition or replacement of stops along the tour (maximum of 2).